Monday, August 16, 2010

Michael Porter will attend SEMO, but basketball future is "50-50"

Michael Porter, whose basketball career was uncertain at Missouri State University following a June car wreck, will transfer to Southeast Missouri State — where his chances of playing basketball remain sketchy.

Porter, rumored to be considering a transfer to Southeast for several weeks, confirmed today that he would in fact transfer and be closer to his former home in Sikeston. But he called his chances of playing basketball again "50-50" as he continues to recover from hip surgery as a result of a crash in rural southwest Missouri in June.

Porter recently became a father, which played a role in his decision to move closer to home.

"The past few months have helped me prioritize things in my life. Whether or not I am able to play basketball again, I want to stay close to home," Porter told Springfield's News-Leader. "I love the Missouri State program, but I have a son now, and being a father figure is more important than ever."

In all, he scored 23 points and had 11 rebounds and later was approved for a medical redshirt. He was granted a release from his scholarship this morning.

Last week, MSU coach Cuonzo Martin said Porter's status at MSU was uncertain because of his injuries. He had returned home to Sikeston this summer while he recovered.

Southeast was among Porter's final choices when he made his decision to attend and play at MSU.

"I love the game, and it would be hard to walk away," Porter said. "That’s why I am taking everything very slow."

No comments: