Sunday, March 16, 2008

Notre Dame's title is a sure thing, but not everybody is convinced

Asking for input in the final SEMO Top 25 basketball poll of the season led to comments that ran from one extreme to the other.

So, when you're looking at the poll dated March 17 keep in mind that some people I've talked to say that the Class 4 state champion Bulldogs ended the season as, hands down, the best team out of about 85 boys programs in our region.

On the other hand, others counter and say that even at its best, Notre Dame wouldn't have beaten Jackson, so Jackson should be the default No. 1. Or maybe there's an argument that Scott County Central would have beaten them all, given the opportunity. Then there's South Iron, the only team in the region that won 30 games this season.

Coming up with the final Top 25 was a chore, but it wound up as a pretty good look at which teams ended strong, which ones didn't, and which ones have momentum when the time comes to do this all again in November.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a strange year, to say the least; mirrored the NCAA football season. For my part, I'm accepting of your final poll. Anyone could throw out an argument about one team being ahead of another team based on head-to-head competition, but you have to look at the big picture; and, I think that's what you guys have done. No problem on my end! Just looking forward to next year.

Anonymous said...

I agree. This is the best poll in this area. I think ND is deserving of being number 1.

Anonymous said...

I think you could argue the Jackson/SCC being 2 and 3. I would have dropped Bell City down a few spots behind New Madrid and Doniphan since they did lose to Doniphan. But I agree this is the best poll in the area.

Anonymous said...

Central should be number 2 I think.